Friday, May 20, 2011

Last Day of Turkey Season

May 15th closed the 2011 turkey season. I had every intention of waking up early to hunt. I woke up to 25mph wind and rain, so I slept in. Dad, Austin Freeseman, Michael Parker, and myself decided with the improved weather in the afternoon we would do a kayak float. We were kayaking the stretch that put us at the magic backwater at the public where I usually turkey hunt. I took all of the necessary equipment to turkey hunt that last evening. Turned out that I would never leave the boats. The first backwater only Austin and I heading into with the kayaks. I started catching snot-rockets.
I caught two before I decided that I needed to get Austin one. These was not going to be an easy feat...I gave him my juice lure (with Barracuda wire leader tied directly on it) and told him where to cast. He missed four or five fish before I decided to take a cast of my own. Snot-rocket out of a brush pile. At this point we were both frustrated. He was finally able to reef on one and bring it to the boat.
 At this point Dad and Michael were waiting at a sandbar for Austin and I and it had been almost two hours at this point. We all made it to the magic backwater where I was supposed to forge off after a turkey. I set a line and had a nice catfish within seconds.
After this fish the boys wanted out of the boats and on the honey hole. We caught a bunch of suckers and carp. We rotated the juice rods between the three of us.

Dad got back into a boat to go after a gator. First cast he wacks a nice one right at the boat. It was too close when it hit so he lost it. He didn't care; it made to trip for him. As we are pleading for one last fish Michael's rod tries to dive into the river. A nice catfish was the way to end the day. It was his first catfish and unlike his first snot-rocket, we got pictures this time.

My season ended with me not really caring that I had shot a bird myself. I was able to help get both of these boys a bird this year and that was enough hunt to satisfy anyone. Until next year...




Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment