Friday, May 20, 2011

Coleman's Project

Went out to the property of my to be father-in-law where I have been given permission to do whatever I want in terms of management. This was a tree planting day. I planted two cottonwoods, and two or three shrub plugs that I had transplanted. I also took the time to go back to the corner where I had cut out hawthorns before and this time planted 10 spruce that dad had given me. I am trying to create a sanctuary area  in the southeast corner. I have much more work to do but nevertheless I have to start somewhere.
 Here is the beginning stage of cut and clear:




 This is just after I planted the spruce.



After planting the trees I thought I would see if I could catch a few carp or catfish on the creek. I took the pack rod Uncle Rick gave me and sat for a couple of hours. I ended up with a few suckers and a bunch of creek chubs. I took most home for catfish bait later. 
I checked out the progress of my work from earlier this year as well:


Most of the ash i girdled were stone dead and the hawthorns reacted better than I ever could have thought. The hinge-cut trees are started to sucker back and the ones I stump cut are stump sprouting. Again, not what I expected but happy with the results. The maples acted as if I never touched them but I expect them to still die back within the year. There is a ton of work to be done there yet, I just need to fine the time.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment