Monday, February 22, 2016

30's Club

Sunday morning we intended on getting out at a decent time, but it just didn't work out that way, as often happens. We decided to work our way back out onto Indian Springs, but Adam wanted to try a point out on the main lake, so we worked our way out onto the main lake. Paul and I walked most of the way out while Adam took Cathy and Andrew out first to get our spot and set-up. Cathy took but a few minutes to find a perch but it was a little slow for the morning.
The first fish was on a tip-up in less than 2 feet of water. When I got her to the hole, I had to turn her sideways to slip her up through the shallow water.


Another 31 inch fish that was a blast to pull through the ice! This never gets old!!!

We caught a few more pike that were just short of the 30 mark and slipped them back in. I found a couple of old holes from someone fishing in the tournament the day before, and was able to find a couple of perch, one decent one, and an absolute slob I lost at the hole. Adam eventually found the money fish, a perch over 12 inches. This one taped out to 13.75"



As I was over at my perch spot, I happened to look back and see Andrew hauling towards a tip-up. I just waited to go over there until he had it on the ice. When I saw him pull it out I knew it was a good fish so I ran over to take a pic.
Before I could even get there another tipper was up and I pulled in yet another, but it was a bit of dink, so back to Andrew's fish.

























We finally found a fish over 31 inches, and at 33 inches, it was the largest pike of the weekend! We had pulled in a half dozen this weekend at or a hair above 30 inches, and this one really showed what difference a 33 is from a 30. We no more than slid the beast back into the lake when I see our deep water tipper up right next to the ice hut.
When I grabbed the line I knew this was not a snot rocket; this was a gator. When I got her to the hole, her head wouldn't come up, so I just waited for her to slide back a little and then up she came and I had my GATOR!!!


This fish was an 11 pound 12 ounce, 37 inch behemoth. I have waited all season for a fish of this magnitude, and it was with great pride that I also slid this fish back into the depths to eat giant perch and walleyes another day. Grow 3 more inches and I will be back for you...

I know not everyone reacts the same way, but Adam and Cathy can attest, I was shaking like a leaf after this one. All this has done is fuel my desire to find a bigger one, and I will eventually find that mythical 40-incher. So until then;


Stay Tuned



No comments:

Post a Comment