Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Last Go On Hard Water

The last Friday of February was the last chance I had to get out out on the ice and try and find a pike. When I got to my spot I drilled a few extra holes, but it was warm enough that I was able to fish out of a few holes someone else had drilled the day before. It was a spot I had fished before with Dad, Paul, Adam, and Cathy, so I sort of know the territory. This didn't prevent me from not pulling in a fish for the first two hours. I moved across the bay, drilled 5 holes and on the 6th I snapped off yet another blade on the auger...
Not only were there no fish there, but my auger was now out of commission. I packed up and headed back to my original spot and waited out a bite. I managed to catch a few perch, and even kept a couple before one of my flags finally went up.
 Nothing huge, but a pike none the less.
I fished for the next 4 hours before I caught another fish of any significance.
This was a much finer fish. As my trend stems, this fish was right at 30 inches.

























I ended my evening shortly before sundown and didn't know what to do with my perch, so I gave them to the gentlemen fishing in the same bay I was in. They were very appreciative tip-up fisherman like myself. They were keeping some of their pike, and were dumbfounded that I threw my pike back. At least there are some nice people out there still.

This would inevitably be the end to my hard-water season. We managed a lot of big fish, and our share of challenging days on the ice, but I can say even with the short winter, I am ready for open water.


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment