Thursday, December 27, 2018

Recharging

After the debacle with McMyCurls, I needed a redeeming hunt. No scouting, no pressure, just some decoys, my pup, and a pocket of shells. Even though I had hunted my brains out the last few days, Rachel still granted me an afternoon of duck hunting. I packed a light bag of dekes, put on Dad's waders, and made the short trudge to the east side of the slough. Upon cresting the high water line, a small group of mallards rose from the edge of the water. While still far out, I was just close enough to shoot. The last bird to get up was drake and with all of my gear and dekes, it was a one handed hail-mary shot. My third shot connected and I was not skunked before I even started. I dropped my gear while Lou retrieved and began setting dekes. I was able to shoot a couple of close bufflehead, and a hen scaup but there were not a lot of birds moving. Honestly, I couldn't have cared less at this time. It was great to watch the sun set, and enjoy the quiet day on a duck slough.



Stay Tuned


No comments:

Post a Comment