Thursday, December 27, 2018

Pre-Christmas Ice with Dad

Before our Christmas travels began, Dad and I took a day to find a fish while we still could. After dropping Luca off at daycare, we fished a new lake that Adam had fished a few days prior. Grass Lake was supposed to be a super charged pike slam dunk of a lake. In the 5ft fish bowl that this lake was, Dad and I zeroed out with not so much as a vibe after two hours of fishing. It just wasn't in the books for this day. We looped back home for a quick bite before finishing our afternoon on Indian. This lake has given us fits in the past but with close access and close proximity to home, it maximized our ice time. We set up our line of tippers a mere 30 feet from the shoreline. What amazes me is how quickly this lake gets clear and the water was crystal clear here again. We spent a few hours out there, and skunk was on our mind when my pike rod finally tipped. Though small, this was a non-skunker of a fish!

Shortly thereafter, Dad had to call it a trip and he headed back for Sioux Falls, leaving me to the night bite on Indian. It was inevitable that I would catch something and I did. As I jigged in Dad's spot, my pike rod tripped again. When I set the hook, I knew it was no pike this time, and with the clear ice and shallow water, I could see the walleye flipping around below me. A whopper of a 26" waldo was going to follow me home.

 I was able to catch one more eater waldo before having to pull the plug as I still needed to get to town to pick up Junior. When back home I was able to get a pic with my boy!


As 2018 comes to a close, I am grateful for many things. I am happy for 2018's conclusion, but I look forward to what 2019 has in store. Hopefully its not grey hair, but hey, at least I have hair....for now




Stay Tuned 

No comments:

Post a Comment