Sunday, January 25, 2015

First Blood of the 2015 Shed Season

Yesterday was my first official walk of the season and Nick, Mocha, and I took to the woods. We were barely 30 minutes into when I broke the ice. Nothing huge, but a first for the season!


We spent a fair amount of time walking the willow bottoms of the river and again I found bone. A small dead head that looked like he died shortly after shedding velvet.


Eventually Nick stumbled upon some bone in the form of a one antlered 3.5 year old dead head. The unfortunate part was this was a bow hit buck as part of the arrow was still with the carcass. No saw, so we left it where it lay.

When walking across the bottoms, Mocha became so engulfed in burrs, we had to stop and cut them out of her fur.

It looked worse than it actually was, but she oblivious.
In the final stretch of the walk, Nick found his first fresh bone of the season.
At the very end I got to watch my pup point and flush a great big rooster right on the edge of the river. It would have been perfect if it had only been in season.




Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment