Friday, October 26, 2012

Inevitability of the Hunt

Got out into the stand tonight with Rachel, and met Nick at the parking lot. We hunted the Boone public this time as Nick wanted to give the place behind his house a break. I put Rachel into her stand as usual and Nick had is climber. I sat in the willow stand which is the juice stand, I am just not comfortable putting Rachel in it, but there is plans to move it a few trees over. I was covered in deer. I had two button bucks come straight to the locust tree and feed on the pods for 20 minutes before they were joined by two does. Eventually, they busted me and plowed their way back into the willows. Not 10 minutes later they came right back. They winded me again but instead of fleeing, they just walked off behind with tails waving. I then get a text.

Nick hit one. In the neck. Bummer.

We knew the day would come that Nick would finally stick one, and not kill it. We collected Rachel, whom again saw no deer, and searched for blood. He watched the doe for 10 minutes or so as she walked around with the arrow halfway through her neck.
'Un-good'. 

We found blood and thankfully the arrow. No deer. Blood was super spotty and thin. Vet woman says non-fatal kill. We looked for half hour and called it. Unfortunate nevertheless but that's hunting.

Great evening out but will be sleeping in tomorrow.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment