Sunday, October 7, 2012

evening hunt goosebumps deux

We behind Nick's house to the prairie stand. Wanted something easy and was granted my own ignorance. Nick placed two stands near the now dried up pond. One is an easy access ladder stand that is not really that secluded but easy nevertheless. The other is by far the hairiest stand I have ever tried to get into. My issue was that I wanted to sit in this stand; the other was too easy. Nick placed the stand in a large shagbark hickory but only a cedar butted right up next to the hickory allowed climbing access. No string was attached so I tried to climb the tree with bow in hand. This was beyond stupid. With bowstring in teeth, limb in each hand, two arrows dangling from random branches, and my large boots lodged in between small branches, one gave way....I cursed my brother's name. I went back to the other stand and sat for 20 seconds before cutting the string and going back. I climbed back up, attached string, climbed down to attach bow, and re-climbed the damn tree. Once I finally got set in, it was magical. I have never felt so secure and hidden in a stand. Only the wind will bust me, and eventually it did. Three does busted behind me a 30 yards after they winded me. I did not really expect to see deer. Of course, had I been sitting in the other stand, they never would have known what hit them. There were an unaccounted amount of deer right before dark, but again winded me. Two deer fed on acorns in front of me without me even seeing them, but I could here the random crunching of them feasting on the hickory nuts and acorns. Crazy evening, love the most wicked stand I have ever sat in.
 
Rachel saw two way out of range and Nick passed on a mangy coyote.


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment