Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bow Opener

 8/01/12 Morning Hunt
2011-12 bow season started yesterday. After the ISU Rodeo on Friday we discovered that Rachel had yet to purchase her licenses and therefore she got to sleep in. I went out to the new stand Nick and I put up on a finger off of the creek. I busted tons of deer on the way in. Saw three more does within the vicinity of the stand and missed a raccoon. I then walked the creekbed as there is no water flowing and found the largest grapevine of my life. I plan on going back for that sometime. I checked out Rachel's stand overlooking the 'acorn foodplot' and busted two does from there. I went up to the stand and a huge deer, nondescript of course, busted off of the hillslope. Sat in that stand for a half hour and watched two yearlings chow down before I called it a day. Great day of opener.

8/02/12 Morning Hunt
Rachel sat in her stand and my buddy Ned and I went back into the Cursed Woods Stand. I put him in that and then sat in another stand that is in another creekbed. I watched two squirrel try and make more squirrels for about an hour. I watched as a small buck came screaming into the creekbed whipped around and went right back to where he came from. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Walking out back towards Ned's stand I found a blood trail. Sparse, but nevertheless still a legitimate trail. Ned saw one doe and Rachel and Nick skunked out.

Evening Hunt
Rachel and I went down to the bottoms together this hunt. We worked very slowly and quietly down the trail-road. At the bottom of the hill we busted two turkeys at 56 yards, which was just too far for a shot through brush. We then found our way to the only water in the dry creek bed and waited for anything to happen. One of the turkeys we busted of course came right back to where they were but we were off that area. Called to her for a half hour before she moved on. No deer tonight just a nice evening shared with my wife!


Stay Tuned

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment