Monday, October 17, 2011

Pheasant Camp 2011: Part 2

After our first run of the morning we got back to the house and had us some lunch. Some of us sat out on the lawn and shot bow for awhile, while others napped. We finally reconvened for the second push of the day. I have few pics of this push as my camera was dead but I have some aftershots for later.
This was the push Poindexter decided to take along his longbow in hopes of at least getting a shot at a flushing rooster. We started the push and Uncle Rick and I doubled on a rooster. Later, Nick finally got a shot, missed, and then Grandpa smoked it with his Ithaca. Great start. I had two birds get out ahead of me, and Rick called hen but I knew the first one was a rooster. I missed my first and smoked him on the second. Long shot and the only person to shoot. I told you I couldn't miss with that gun. We were on the downslope of one hillside when we hear a shot below us, and then hear birdshot hissing through the prairie grass. I told Brian there is someone shooting at us, and then Dad tell the group there has been a guy on this private property for the majority of the hunt. Brian and Al head over and have a word with him. "Lost" he says. "sorry" he says for spraying us with birdshot. "Didn't know we were there". Idiot from the cities. We move on. Austin finally get his chance at a bird and drills an immature rooster which we don't locate per say. Oops. In the aftermath of that another rooster gets up and nick shoots with his bow. Miss. Brian and Austin pull it down for another bird in the bag. Redemption is good. Rick then flushed a bird the length of his beard hair and thus turns it into red mush. We end the run and start walking back to the house. A little prairie section off to the north is on the way back. The dogs got birdy and Nick followed all the way. A big, slow, beautiful rooster flushes right in front of him. Swing and a close miss. All we hear was "INCHES!" So close with that bow.
After we got back to the house before our last push of the day, I had to get a picture with Grandpa and our true single roosters. 



For the last push of the day we chose the cornfield behind the house and boy did that pay off. We were covered in birds. Al was worried about bird numbers. I can't tell you why. I was a constant flush of pheasants. Austin and I took the down wind side on the push down. No shots but tons of birds. We stayed their for the way back because I had a hunch. Again Rachel took some gems while we waited for birds.





 Austin and I with our bird!

More to come


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment