Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Where's Waldos?

Another week, another chance to find fish. Now that I am over the flu, I have new lease on life, and a frantic need to fish as much as humanly possible before April. I have spent a few evenings out chasing dreams, and have come up with fish a few times. As the last week proved decent between the pinch on the bay, I figured I would head right back there. Stopping into the baitshop, it seems that someone else had figured out this spot and slammed them in the morning. I knew this was not good and I needed to get out there.

I set up a little off of the guys holes from the morning, but I was unable to find a fish. I finally decided I should try jigging in one of those holes as nothing else was working.

I forgot all of my tackle...

Because of my infinite laziness, there was a rattle jig stuffed into a small hole in my vexilar; this was all I would need.

It didn't take me five minutes and I had a walleye flopping on the ice. After icing my second, a white truck pulled up next to me and the guy got out of his truck.

This was the guy from this morning. He went on this sob story that he was the one that discovered this spot and he hammered them here this morning. Being public water, he could drill more holes close to me, but I wasn't budging. He tried to convince me to move a few times but I wasn't buying into, plus I take issue with the fact that he was back out here in the afternoon after catching his limit this morning. No worries, Officer Kyle is privy to the guy...

As climbed back into his truck and was peeling out of there, I pulled in another nice walleye. I kept waiting for one of my tippers or even the jacker to go off, but nothing was happening other than the fish I was catching jigging. As the sun was getting lower and lower I was really starting to feel the cold, but I managed my largest for my limit of ice walleyes. With a full bucket, I fished for another 45 minutes, merely to prevent the hoards of people coming onto the lake from taking the spot. I caught nine total before finally calling it as the cold was starting to hurt.




Walleyes have proven difficult for me, especially in the winter months, but I knew it was a matter of statistics before I stumbled onto a school. Now if I could only do the same with another giant pike...



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment