Wednesday, February 22, 2017

My Kind of Shedding

Tuesday the 21st, I hauled down to Al and Karin's as I received word that my prints were done! As always, Al did a spectacular job with the prints. Pintails, loon and camping scene, and my favorite, oak ridge monarch gobbler (they look so great on the wall it hurts).


After going through the prints, we headed over to the lake house to pilfer what was left of the potatoes Al had harvested last fall. A quick check over the cabin and box full of taters, and we headed out to the woods. It is always nice to be able to drive right up to the spot when I want to. We parked right by one of our treestands and started meandering through the timber. Al was in search of hollow logs for flower pots, and I in search of my first Cochrane's shed and first of the year. It took me all of 20 minutes to find my first fresh bone of the year!


A nice 4 point side laying neatly by a log.





I gridded he immediate area for the match but I had a feeling it was nowhere near. There was a fair amount of deer sign but I was far less concerned about finding another one at this point. I spent more time taking pics of the timber, and looking for more hollow logs for Al. I pulled a giant loop and ended up on the south side. I immediately found turkey sign and a lot of it. In short order I bumped into the flock. At least 50-60 birds were preparing for their evening roost. I had 8-9 gobblers right in front of me before they picked me out and bolted across the ridge. MAN this spring is going to be awesome!


I doubled back to not completely bust the flock out and popped back into the timber. as I came to the far side just before it drops down into the slough below, I stopped to admire the sunset. I really enjoy this property, and despite the fact that I love ice fishing, I have conceded and totally ready for spring. I just happened to glance down and base in the air, the match to my first shed lay right in front of me.




My first decent match set of sheds, and at Cochrane's nonetheless! I calculated my success rates when I walked back in Ames, I would walked approximately 5.5 miles, or 7-8 hours for each shed I picked up. I was on this property for a little over an hour and had a match set.

I have a feeling I have used up a years worth of good karma in the last few days...




Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment