Monday, October 21, 2013

Early Muzzle Success

It's been difficult to get Rachel out in the stand this year as her schedule is beyond booked. When I can even think that I have enough time, we are off to the woods. Last Tuesday I told Rachel we would forgo the evening hunt as I figured work would run late. The weather was cold, gray, and windy. I HAD to get her out. It worked out as some circumstances at work for the day gave me a normal schedule. I bolted home and had Rachel waiting ready at the door when I got there. We hunting the prairie stand right behind Nick and Lisa's house while they hunted the alfalfa field across the ravine. Nick got Lisa to do the same and get her out with what little time she had. Now, she had an early muzzle tag burning a hole in her pocket yet.
It was not happening for Rachel and I.
The vibe was dead, and it was windy and cold. Great evening and beautiful nevertheless.

20 minutes before legal light.

BOOM!
I grab my phone and wait for the call. Nothing happens. I text Nick '?!'

No response. Ten minutes go by.

BOOM!

At this point all I could think is she either missed the first shot or was finishing something off with the second. Still no communication.

Legal light expired and Rachel and I make our quick walk back to the house. I was under dressed and was freezing. Rachel was smarter and warmer.

Shortly after we got to the driveway I hear a truck coming down the road. It honks incessantly as it passes the neighbors.

Dead deer.

Nick and Lisa pull into the driveway and inform us they called and she shot a buck! 

Again, we collect the neighbor kid and his 4-wheeler and head to the field.

Her first shot was right where it needed to be, but it kept trying to stand back up, so Nick reloaded and had her help speed up the process.

The vet student guts and tags her very first deer after three years of hunting.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment