Monday, October 21, 2013

Buick Bonus Button Buck

After our duck hunt and even an evening deer hunt, Michael and I decided we were going to make the trek to Steamboat and try our luck there in the morning. It was a lot harder to wake up the second morning. We got in with plenty of time and walked super slow through the timber. It still sounded like two buffalo rolling on bubble wrap. Michael got my stand located and then set up about 75 yards west of me.
This place is instant goose bumps. I felt like it was going to happen at any second. And then I look down. :) Three does had popped out on the trail below me. They got wiggy on me and headed away towards Michael. I heard a bleat, a snap, and a THWACK! I only saw one deer come back my way. Within seconds Michael calls me and says he has one down but it keeps trying to get up. I told him to shoot again and I hang up. I waited a long time before I just call him back. He climbed down the tree to take care of business, but his button-buck had expired before he got there. It was still early so I requested we sit a little longer. By 9am I was cold and ready to see his deer. I come up on Michael and he is all that is 30 feet up. As he starts working his way down I look behind me and there is another button buck within 30 yards. It gets to about 25 yards of me before it figured out what I was. Michael continues his descent when he has a minor mishap. The bottom section of his climber falls all the way to the ground.

Lesson learned and crisis averted.

When we walk up on his deer we turn it over and discover he hit it in the jugular. It was borderline graphic. The 35 yard shot connected and spun it around 180 degrees, before it fell.




We gutted, tagged, and got out of there. Bonus Hardin County tag filled.

In checking the trail cam pics, a number of bucks were there that morning. That's hunting I guess.

We got all of our gear and the deer back to the car and devised our plan. No trailer. No pickup. No problem.



First deer on the back of the Buick. It's about time!

I would call this weekend a success. It's Monday night and I am beyond beat. :)



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment