Monday, April 25, 2011

Friday April 22nd

Got back to Dike from school and blasted off to the Shell Rock Bend public. I needed to get out and evening turkey hunts are not unheard of. The creek at the bottom was flooded but I managed to hop it anyway. I set myself under a cedar for about 15 minutes and had no vibe. I walked the cornfield edge and planted myself underneath the lone cedar in the fence-line. I cut shooting lanes and stuck the shoots into a mini blind. At this point it started to rain. Not a down pour but a soaking, cold, rain. I called periodically but nothing was going to respond. I saw three jakes across the field which slowly made their way across. Three hens came out of an opening about 25 yards to my left and had no idea I was there. Two gobblers came out to the NW. Now there are turkeys everywhere. I then hear this grunting, spitting noise behind me. Where the turkeys came out 5 bucks came out and quartered right in front of me. All were had sprouted there new antlers. For the next 20 minutes or so they proceed to literally prance around the field. To quote Dad, "they just spent the last few months trying not to die. It's great have spring." About a half hour or so another buck came out to my left but at no more than 5-10 yards from me. He picked me out right away and about jumped out of his skin when he smelled my decoys. Turkeys continue to filter in the field and swirl around just never coming close enough to even try a hail-mary shot.  At this point I was tired and soaked so I got up and left. Great evening out.

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment