Friday, November 30, 2018

The Birds Opener

This year's dove/goose opener was not what I would consider the craziest shoot I've ever had, but I was also gifted a visit from Michael Parker. We split the cost of a license for him to join Dad and I on our annual dove opener hunt. We set out to the same field I hunt every year, but this time it was a bit quieter. There was another wheat field on the other side of town, and that was pulling in most of the birds in the area. I knew this was not a nail in the coffin, but we needed to go in with an open mind.

It took longer than I had even anticipated, but we were able to start scratching out a few birds here and there. On the next section over, we were watching a group of guys pound away on the local geese. They were having an absolute banner day! After an onslaught a pair made their way towards our field. Low, but still far, they flared at the last second about 70 yards out. I figured I just needed to get one on the ground, and I shoot all steel so I can multi-task my hunts. I popped up and took a shot, busting a wing on the nearest bird. A quick chase with Lou and we had goose in the bag! We moved a couple of times throughout the morning because cover was limited and the birds really didn't have a set pattern. We ended up right back where we started. From the west, a rather dumb pigeon made the mistake of coming right down the pipe. With locked wings and in shooting range, Dad made a spectacular shot with his double. This alone made up for our many misses that morning. Again, we watched as another pair of geese came from the south towards our field. What possessed them to fly directly overhead will always baffle me, but with one perfectly placed shot, I was able to stone the lead bird. 

With hashbrowns and sausage starting to speak to us, we decided to call it a morning hunt. We were able to pick away at enough birds to make a one man limit; not our most productive day dove hunting, but enjoyable nonetheless. 




The next morning was to be just Michael and I and with limited other field options, we headed back to our same field, but in a fenceline. We enjoyed good conversation, beautiful weather, but not a bird in hand. It was a tad disheartening, but we can't have banner days every time we go out. 


Another opener weekend down, the fall had merely just begun. 



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment