Friday, November 30, 2018

Late Season Waldo Chase

I was able to join Adam and Paul on what would be my final open water trip of 2018. I was not hell-bent on catching a pike; at this point, anything would be nice. We hauled up to Horseshoe to try everything we could. With calm enough weather, I still threw flies when I could but was unable to turn a fish. Once the wind picked up it seemed drifting was our only valid option. I picked off a decent pike on the gumball jig, and we even managed a couple of small walleye, but nothing worth taking home. A couple more drifts, a cut finger on a sunken line, and more wind, we pulled the plug and headed out.

Our afternoon fish was a tad more productive but not by much. One decent perch was able to find its way into the boat.

Paul was also able to catch a slob of a waldo on his drift rig!


Ok, maybe not, but it was a fish.

This seems to be the trend every year. We try the late season bite but struggle to hit it right. With duck season knocking on the back door, I had other, more important things to worry about. As noted, I would not get back out on open water for the remainder of the season. I wasn't exactly heartbroken. Ducks....ducks....ducks....


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment