Sunday, October 9, 2016

Indian Summer

Yes, autumn did not officially start until September 22nd, but my fall season starts September 1st every year. Doves, ducks, deer, and fall fishing are but a few things to take a shot at during the fall months. The leaves are falling, along with our temps. Once the nighttime temps start dipping into the 40's it's time to get serious with some fishing as well. Adam and Cathy came up for the weekend of the 10th and we tried our luck at a fall waldo, or in my case, gator. The fishing was slow, but there must have been word that the bite was on, because there was no shortage of boats at the boat ramp. We tried fishing the main lake initially, but that was a complete bust so we did what we have always done, and headed to small bay. We worked the shoreline as best as possible, but a prominent mud-line, and six other boats told us where we needed to be. I was finally able to boat a small pike, to which it mangled my thumb as usual...


We stuck it out in this spot for awhile and I was able to hook into a sizeable waldo!




Into the live-well it went despite some hesitation from Adam. We worked this area for awhile, while the other boats anchored and boated perch all morning/afternoon. On the other side of the bay I was able to hook into another great waldo. There were frustrations about the lack of fish from the 'Captain' but we were trying everything. A quick jaunt to the bait shop for minnows and we were back in our spot with Adam and Cathy throwing out slip bobbers. Adam was finally able to boat a small walleye, which at that point was all he needed to say he wasn't skunked. I kept pitching my swimbait and eventually hooked into my gator!!!




At 33 inches, he was not a giant but far better than anything I had caught this summer, so I was stoked to say the least.


When the wind dropped out, and the sun beat down, we decided to call it a day; we weren't exactly hammering them.


Two big waldos made their way home with me and await a frying pan!




Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment