Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Labor Day Festivities

This year's labor day weekend, Rachel's family camp up to visit us in the luscious town of Clark, SD. There was no chance we were going to be house the influx of people so the clan reserved the Ringneck Lodge on the west side of town. I was indeed skeptical of the arrangement, but I was beyond impressed with the establishment.
It was an old steakhouse that has been converted to a lodge for mostly large hunting or fishing groups. It was well done, and was a lot more put together than I expected. Wifi for the addicts, cable for the sports enthusiasts, and a poker table because it's South Dakota. There is a bar (un-stocked) a pool table, dining area, and separated sleeping sections.



 To top it off, the owner opened up the kitchen because we were a family group. It's a restaurant quality kitchen, and is fully functional. 





 I was able to Dad's combat style breakfast of bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and pancakes with complete ease. It was awesome!!!

After breakfast it was time to dive headfirst into our daily activities. We headed to lake for family pictures and some fishing.
We wrangled everyone near the lake as best as possible and took some great pics of the family. Of course, I don't have any copies of these at this time as they are on Sara's camera, but I will include them when I get them.

Once the kids realized this was the lake we were going to actually fish, it was difficult to keep them focused. It ended up that Austin and Jerry took the kayaks, and Ryan, the boys, and I took piled into the boat.
It didn't take but mere minutes before we had fish in the boat.
Ryker's ratio was about 1 for 1 fish caught to hook buried in my hand. Thus, I did not get a photo of Daxton with his fish. I regret it immensely.
The wind was causing us some difficulty so we moved to the other side of the lake and Ryan made short work of our quick move.

 At one point, Jerry came over in the kayak to see how things were going, and we hear Austin yelling from the other side of the lake. I knew already that he boated a waldo and was unsure how to proceed. He ended up throwing it between his legs and paddling to us to put on the stringer.

 After an inordinate amount of snacks, the boys finally had had enough of the fishing thing and it was time to call it a day. By the grace of our beloved wives, we dropped the boys off at the dock, and were granted a few more hours to try and finish off our limit. Jerry and Austin declined and went back with everyone else, so Ryan and I had the lake to ourselves.
 It took us a little under an hour to finish off our limit of walleye. We even stayed awhile longer just to enjoy the fishing. It was banner day to not be taken for granted of and we hammer them!


When we returned to the Lodge I wanted the group fishermen pic.
Ryan and I then spent the remainder of the evening filleting out our catch, and even pan frying a batch for those that had not already eaten.

The next morning was a little rough as being away from everyone has not been easy, but we managed to squeeze in as much kid time as possible.



Even though the trip seemed short, it was necessary for both of us to see everyone again. The fishing, and what-not was but a mere bonus. Just watching and listening to Rachel showed me how much she missed being away from home. I am beyond grateful that everyone was able to come up and visit, and I hope it can happen again. Until next time;


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment