Monday, June 29, 2015

SD Fishing at it's Finest

After telling Adam and Paul that my little gem of a lake had a hot bite, it took little convincing to get them to come north for a day. Paul, Adam, and Cathy came into town a little after 9:30am. We wasted no time getting on the water, near where I had found them from shore. It took mere minutes before Paul put a walleye in the boat.

We were not more than 70 yards from the boat ramp and had fish in the live-well. After a more walleyes, Paul pulled in another one of the porker perch.
I had a really nice pike take a swipe at my crawdad crankbait, so I switched over to heavier gear and came up with my largest pike to date. I caught this one on a shallow crankbait I scored from the shoreline a few days prior.





I was beyond stoked!! I never did get a measurement on this one but after measuring another at 34-35" we knew this one was noticeably larger probably 36"-37".
While everyone else fished for walleyes, I was inconsolable about the pike situation. I pulled them in one after another.

 Right at 30". This one mangled the shit out of my fingers....Note the duct-tape on my hand already.
We found more walleye, periodically, but we were still catching perch and pike.
 I even convinced Adam to pose with a pike.
As we continued to pitch baits I glanced to the deeper water and saw a giant perch swimming sideways just below the surface. Another large pike had just T-boned it and had it in his mouth. I had to take a crack at it. I pitched my jig head towards the head of him. On my second cast, the giant dropped the perch and took a swipe at my jig.
Another one of my largest pike, this one going 34"-35" as we measured.



At this point my hands were so shredded I was casting with my ring finger as the duct-tape and foam were preventing my ability to cast farther than ten feet. We were doing our best to finish out our limit for the four of us and Paul felt he needed in on the pike pictures.

We finally boated our last to fulfill our limit and we headed back to clean our bountiful harvest.





A four man limit of walleye in a little over 5 hours. This was with some perch and pike mixed into the madness. We were within 100 yards of the boat ramp and limited on sizable walleye. I caught my two largest pike and enjoyed the company of family. I should also note that Cathie was the voice of reason that kept us all from drowning in the lake. I can't wait to get on the water again!



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment