Thursday, June 11, 2015

First Fish as a Resident

Technically, I am still not a resident according to the paperwork, but as far as I am concerned I am a resident of South Dakota. The job search has been slow but steady, and I have been rather cooped up in the new apartment. I can only clean, and pace for so long is such a small space before I go insane. Because of this, Rachel granted me a fishing license and a free afternoon. I just wanted to feel the breeze and smell the water again. There is a size-able lake south of town. It's like most of the glaciated lakes in South Dakota; basically an over flooded slough. These shallow lakes have proven great for pike, perch, and walleyes. I was in search of a fish no matter what it may be. I bombed out a line with corn in hopes of finding a carp or two. I took my bait-caster and rigged a jig head as the area looked like there was a fair amount of sunken trees and logs. On my second cast I snagged a log. I was so out of tune with a rod I didn't realize that the log was taking a run. I though I maybe had found a pike or a smallie along the rocks. At about 10 feet out I saw a nice fat walleye!
I could not believe on my second cast as a resident I had a dandy waldo in hand! I always keep a bundle of random twine in my bag in case or any sort of emergency, and this was the time for a stringer. I don't keep many fish, but this fish was going to be dinner.

After stringing him up I continued to pitch my mister-twister. They were not hand over fist, but they may as well have been. I moved along the shoreline trying to find a few more. I found a lot of weeds and shallower water. I moved back to my original post and continued one after another.

I was able to land 16 walleyes in a matter of a few hours. All of these were within 18 to 25 inches. I only took pics of a few and didn't even get a pic of my largest because of the traffic on the road. I figured the attention was not worth it.
I even managed to catch two of the largest perch I have ever seen. I remember as a kid catching a few that were a hair over 12 inches but the pair I caught were 14 inches even. Of course, they both ended up on my stringer. I could eat these things every day.

I took home my first South Dakota catch and prepped them for a shore lunch dinner.
 The walleye I kept ended up being 22". I thought he was somewhere around 18" but I am a tad out of touch in the walleye world.
Some shore lunch bubblin' fish filets!

The rest is going on the grill or fish tacos I haven't decided yet.
Living in SD has been an adjustment so far, but I think I will make due with the hand I've been dealt!



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment