Monday, December 8, 2014

The Great Squirrel 'Hunt'

After enough deer madness, I had made mention to Micheal Parker that there were too many squirrels at Coleman's and we needed to thin the herd. In all honesty, I believe there were too many.

The day after Thanksgiving we headed out and I was able to bring alone my nephew Ryker. We bundled him up and did our best to find a squirrel in the woods right off of the road.
We were out for a little over an hour and were unable to find one. It baffled me as the place looked like a golf ball with squirrel tracks. Ryker was cold and done hunting. He sure did enjoy himself and I guarantee he will be back in the woods in the future. 

After dropping Ryker off back at the house, Michael and I headed back out to solve this puzzle. I sat near the road with Mocha and Michael walked farther back into the timber. I finally found one splayed out on a tree branch and I let the .17 bark. Mocha of course retrieved it without hesitation. Again, I looked up into the crotch of a tree and there was another. As I was standing to move elsewhere one flies down a walnut tree and crosses the creek. I got a quick flash as it crested a log on the opposite side of the creek and I cracked off a shot anyway. When we crossed the creek it laid on the log it was on. We tried on the other side for awhile and were able to put a few down there. Between the two of us we managed a 5 total. As we were calling it a day I decided I wanted to squirrel nest with my new shotgun before we left. As wrong as it may be, we were out to manage numbers. They were eating tree bark by the end of the winter last year. Of course, one came spitting out of the nest upon the shot to which Mocha helped finish it off.
 We then looked around to see this section of woods was covered in these nests. We proceeded to manage our population... It didn't take long to fulfill our limit.






To appease my father, we did indeed clean these critters, or I should say a coot related hunt made it so Michael owed me one, so he cleaned them. We will not let them go to waste.


Stay Tuned 

No comments:

Post a Comment