Sunday, February 11, 2018

Mammoth Gator #2

This ice season has been particularly tough for just about anything. We are unsure if it is the cold or what, but I have branched out and tried multiple different lakes with little success. The first weekend in January we fished hard and came up with nary a fish the entire weekend. We were graced with the presence of Grandpa Rex, and were able to get him out on the lake. The fishing was dismal, but the company was spectacular. With the weather improving by the day, Monday was in the mid-30s with little to no wind. I knew this was a chance I won't get many more of, so I took advantage of the chance to fish my my Dad and Grandpa.

We fished most of the morning and again the fishing was dismal. We were just about ready to pull the plug and try something else when my jawjacker went off. As the rod bent over and the drag started screaming, I told Dad to grab it before it got off. With multiple drag squealing runs we knew this was a big fish. The first site at the bottom of the hole got the blood flowing. a giant head lay at the bottom of the hole. As I reached for the large pike the first time, she took another big run. When we finally got the fish to the hole and I was able to get a hold of her, I pulled the second largest fish any of us have caught up here since we moved to Clark.









































At 40 inches even, Dad said this is the largest pike he has caught south of Canada. Having Grandpa there with us on the ice made the only fish we caught all weekend that much more special. I cannot remember the last time I was able to fish with my Dad and Grandpa, and to put my Dad on a 40 inch pike while with both of them will be tops on my season. This was a spectacular start to 2018, and I hope we can have more days on the lake.



Stay Tuned





No comments:

Post a Comment