Sunday, October 1, 2017

Foggy Morning Session

Our first morning out went OK with Lou but progress as each bird hit the ground. I figured the best medicine for the pup were more repetitions. The next morning out I phone permission to a new field on the other side of town as to not put too much pressure on the juice field. Rachel was not feeling the day, so I was on my own for another go at some speed demon birds. When we walked out the door in the morning it was absolute pea-soup. I got halfway to the spot before I had to turn back around for my chair and my gun.....Hopefully I am getting that out of my system early.

We worked around a giant dry cattail slough and finally found a rock pile on the far side and buried ourselves in the weed patch. It was so foggy we could hear the doves and the geese around us but we could not see a thing. Lou and I made the most of our foggy adventure and practiced our steadiness in the blind.







When the fog finally lifted around 9:30 am, it was starting to get warm quick, and we still had yet to take a shot. We did manage to pick off a few birds before the warm started to take a foothold and we had to call it a morning.












Lou is slowly figuring out what our outings are all about, and each outing is better than the last. She is tracking anything that flies now, and has been getting better with the retrieve with each bird. One of the ones from the morning was a long bomb cripple that she chased down 4 feet from the ground for 100 yards before it hit the dirt and met Lou. I won't even say that she seems like she enjoys the outings as we all know she does. This fall is going to be off the charts.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment