Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Gunpowder and Feathers: Reloaded

The second weekend of September was just another chance for me to get out, and I was not about to turn that opportunity down. I took the chance and changed up my location as I felt I was had not been where the birds wanted to be, but rather on their route to said location. I tried to put myself on the "X" but that's not always the easiest. I sat next to a hay bail on the end of a dried of slough, but wanted to see where all of the birds were, as well as where all of the geese were heading for their morning feedbag. My first bird I shot 10 feet on the other side of the bail, and when Mocha brought it to me, there wasn't a scratch on it. I honestly think I hit it with the wad.
I eventually hopped up on top of the bail and proceeded to shoot two more from this perch. As the geese started to leave their field, I hopped off and hoped that an arrant flock would swing my direction. The first big flock couldn't have read the script better if I had written it myself. Right over the top: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
Only my first shot connected but a thundering poof in the grass behind me told me I hit him well enough. I turned around to see Mocha again, befuddled by the giant-feathered-bird-thing. Another huge goose on the ground. I waited for the rest of the birds to do the same thing, and I had three more flocks do the exact same thing; except for the fall out of the sky part... I may have done some horrendous shooting. A pair finally swung my direction, one split off, the other right over my head. I heard the pellets rake through the feathers on the first shot, but the second shot folded him. A deep thump behind me told me the dry slough was still a little mucky. I picked up this bird, and as seemed to be the trend, another giant Canada goose. The pair weight 14 pounds each, being two of the largest geese if not the largest I have ever harvested. I finished my morning with a final stray dove, that made a mad dash through my setup after being chased off a tree by small hawk. Nature is so freaking cool!


































Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment