Monday, January 6, 2014

An Ancient Goes Down: Sleeper

If I told you a few hours after my last post I was going to harvest my largest buck with a muzzle loader, I would have called you insane and reckless. I was watching football, to which point I questioned whether or not I should go, and even Rachel agreed I should get out.

It's been a tough season for both of us. Neither of us harvested a deer during the bow season. A lot of bucks, and some of the biggest I have seen, were harvested by close friends and family. At this point I just needed any deer to put in the freezer. I collected all of my gear and then some and headed for the woods. I pulled into Nick's driveway and put my bow stuffs together. I still had my bow tag and figured I should shoot first.
I hadn't shot my bow since the beginning of November.
I wouldn't have believed it if told by someone else, but bundled up with blaze vest and 'abominable snowman' suit I actually shot better than all season.
Dime sized grouping at 40+. I was a happy guy.
Bow
Tripod
Folding hunting chair
muzzle loader
diddy bag
These are just the things I had to carry. I also had coveralls, snowpants, snow mobile boots, thick sweatshirt, Dad's turbo parka, and my snow suit. It's a miracle in itself that my legs are strong enough to carry me and all of this gear farther than 20 feet.  All together over 40 pounds of gear and clothing.
I got everything situated and headed for the corner of the prairie behind the house. I cross the fence and look down the first nook of a ravine. Three does bedded and oblivious to my presence. I back out, shed most of my gear and take my muzzle loader and tripod. I stood and watched them for 10 minutes as the wind whipped around up top. I must have made too sudden of movement as one looked straight up at me and then bolted. The other two followed suit but not without snorting and creating a ruckus. I recollect all of my shit yet again, and walk slowly down the old logging road. This was just like last year. I knew where the deer were going to be in these bottoms if they were there. I get to the end of the road and look down.

Deer....

I can see that it is a larger deer but the brush hides any bone if it was there. I again back out and shed most of my gear. I get back into position and scope out my situation.
It is indeed a buck and a decent one at that. There are also two more with it. I grab my tripod and gun and decide to get closer. The wind is perfect for a stalk and they have no idea I am there. I slid down a deep wash and come up behind a large oak tree. I slide my barrel around the side of it and reassess.

I am covered in bucks!
I have managed to sneak into the jackpot of buck bedrooms.

Hammer back.

I put my cross hairs on the good buck and wait. Three steps right or left and he is mine. I pull my head up off the scope and continue looking around for a better buck. All are bucks but the first one seems the biggest.
I catch movement below me at the base of the finger I am on.

GIANT...

Curled up in a ball is a bruiser of a buck not 50-60 yards and in the open bedded underneath the largest cedar in the creek bottom. He has his head down and turned and at first I was convinced he had already dropped a side. He then picks his head up and gives me a panning view as he surveys the creek bottom.

I am in shock and have to bring myself back into 'gametime' mode.
Hammer already back I figure it is now or never. He is still bedded down, broadside but quartering-too a bit.
I know some may see it as against the Geneva Convention but I had come this far, snuck up on a group of bucks in their territory, and they had no idea I was there.  
I pull back and move to the other side of the tree to make sure my shot was as clear as possible. I did not want to screw this up. I left my tripod on the other side of the tree...
I knew I had done it before and could do it again.

CRACK!!!!

Absolute wintery hell broke loose. I knew I was in 'Buck Bedroom' but I had no idea. 10 to 15 bucks come screaming out of the bottoms after my shot. I had a 125" 8 pointer come up the side of the ravine by me and there were deer scattering everywhere. Every deer I saw had antlers.
I had never seen anything like it before in my life.
I picked out my buck and could see the foam forming on his side.
Perfect shot.
I watching him stop and stand. And then stand some more.....Still standing...
My diddy bag was at the top of the hill yet.
I belly crawl back to the top and ram in a bullet. I watch him sway and then bed down. His head was up and he was not dead yet. I thought I had a perfect hit...
I watch his head go down and he laid down for good.
I grab my phone to call Rachel.
I look up to see him trying to get back up again.
I drop my phone and put another one in him at a hair under 100 yards.

CRACK!!!

MAN that thing is loud! Down for good.

I proceed to call Rachel for real and give her what Michael gave me. Complete chaotic gibberish. I call Nick whom is not actually home and he get the neighbors kids to help me drag him out. I call Ned Parker and Jon Jones and both say they will assist as well.
I go down the ravine and take my sweet time with pictures before guys start showing up.
A light snow greets me as I get to the bottoms.








After conversing with Nick some it was determined which deer this was indeed. Nick had trail cam pics of him earlier in late September in the field where Lisa shot her buck. He also informed me that the neighboring taxidermist has shed from a few years from this buck. This buck was at least 6 and 1/2 years old.

We got the deer up to the truck and then Nick's neighbor did me another huge favor and let me do the skinning and boning in his woodstove-heated shop. In all honesty, he was not that big of a deer and his age showed it. When I skinned him the hide was yellow, and the meat was borderline black. I have shot 2 and 1/2 year old does that have produced more venison.

In the shop today I cleaned up the skull and got a look at his teeth. He is well past his prime and 7.5 or older. Once they get past 6.5 it's tough to age by tooth wear. Based on the wear on the incisors I would say older yet. I have never seen wear on incisors and these were almost worn flat.

I have always wanted to harvest a buck by way of spot and stalk: accomplished.
I have always wanted to harvest an old warrior of a buck: accomplished.
The fact that I was able to sneak up on such a large group of bucks, including this grizzled old warrior means more to me than I could have thought possible. I nor my wife harvested a deer this 2013 season. Hours into 2014 and I am off to a great start.



Stay Tuned










No comments:

Post a Comment