Thursday, July 21, 2016

Summer Weekend

I have just short of avoided fishing up here this summer as I spend more time being frustrated by it than enjoying the time out. The water is warm, the weeds are thick, and the wind blows; a lot. I have a difficult time controlling the small boat with these kinds of conditions so I just skip it all together.


However, Dad, Mom, and Uncle Paul came up for a visit the weekend of the 9th, and we tried our luck anyway. As usual, conditions were tough and we struggled to catch much. I couldn't get the boat on the main lake as I would have liked due to windy conditions but we had to try anyway.


Paul was the only one to catch anything of significance, and managed to catch a sizeable pike.





We called it shortly after catching that fish to get some lunch and come back for Ma. The afternoon outing proved to be a giant disappointment and frustration. Our original plan of fishing Antelope was a bust as the water was an algal cesspool. We tried plan-B and headed to Dry Lake #2 near Willow Lake. We basically got the boat on the water and already knew it was too windy. With Mom, Paul, and myself, it was just too windy for that little boat, and Mom was already uncomfortable with the situation. The drive back to shore proceeded to douse my mother in wave after wave, which I found rather hilarious (although I can about bet she did not feel the same...) but we made it back in one piece. There really was nothing I could do to stop it; if I went too slow we didn't move and got wet, if I went too fast we got REALLY wet but got it over with quicker...


That ended our day for fishing even though there were mutterings about fishing after dinner, although for fear of offending anyone it was discovered that none of us really cared to go back out...figures.


Saturday evening brought a much needed rain, and temporarily derailed our day plan of shooting some clays on a private property. The only access to the property was a small dirt road which would now be 4X4 territory and I did not wish to press it. The wind again proved too much to even attempt fishing. Mom, Dad, and I headed to Bailey's, which is a public shooting area, and shot our clays out there. It felt good to hear a gun go bang again. I am so ready for fall it hurts, and this just fueled the fire...




Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment