Monday, December 28, 2015

Quick Pre-holiday Visit



A few weekends ago Ma and Pa came up to the wonderland of Clark for a quick blast of a visit. As we have settled in, the rest of our stuff, as well as what seems like endless extras, start finding their way back to our place. Dad was kind enough to bring such a load of stuff and I appreciate any help we can and have gotten with yet another move.
Before their arrival, Rachel and I spent the better part of Saturday antiquing in the area. Rachel is looking specifically for a hutch for our ever expanding kitchen. She has always wanted one but we have never lived in a place with enough space to accommodate one. Even in NE South Dakota, we could not find one that was not either in very poor condition, or vastly overpriced. We will continue our quest but we struck out on this run.
Saturday evening, we enjoyed a wonderful meal prepared by my wife and enjoyed the company and conversation.
 Sunday morning, Dad and I were given the green light to chase a late season rooster. I only have a limited number of places to hunt and I figured we would just walk what was on the easier side. We wanted more to just get out and walk rather than clean a bunch of birds.
We walked the length of a private shelterbelt I have permission to walk, but there was not even a track of a pheasant in it. The field next to it was a second flush of wheat from earlier in the year and was borderline thick enough to hold a bird or two. With standing corn two fields over, I figured we had a slight chance. We walked most of the field again, without a sign of a bird. ¾ of the way through I finally cut some tracks. I watched as the pup finally caught scent of the bird and she started working slowly through the sporadic wheat.
After walking 50 or so yards I see a head pop up 10 yards in front of me.
Rooster.
He ducked back into the grass as I was motioning to Dad that the bird was right in front of us. Mocha could not keep tabs on it and I didn’t want the bird to outsmart us. I worked ahead and then I hear Dad start yelling. It was now right in front of him but the thing would just not get up out of the grass. I finally got Mocha turned in the right direction, and the bird finally broke.
My first shot was a complete biff, but my follow-up and Dad’s one shot dropped him in the snow wheat. He was not a giant bird, but we were not skunked!
We finished up this field without another sighting. We still had some time so I took Dad to one of the publics I have been hunting. This had some thicker cattail marsh stuff and I figured maybe there would be a straggler bird left. I was wrong, as usual.
We walked most of the thicker stuff but the open area in the middle had more nests than I had seen anywhere else, yet we had walked a fair chunk of this place, and had yet to see a bird. On one stretch I watched Dad pause, bend over, and pick up a dropped glove or something. It was perfect movie quality double-take as Dad brushed the mud off a substantial shed antler.


We continued our loop without a bird, but at the turn Mocha got on one and I just chased her down to the end of the property. She flushed two hens, but no roosters.
We finished our loop, again without seeing another bird, and headed back home for a few pics and to call it a weekend.






Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment