Monday, March 16, 2015

Walk at 'Coleman's'

 Last Friday I got home with enough daylight to walk Coleman's. Michael was out walking with some other guys so it was just me and my sanctuary. Though I didn't find any sheds, it was great to walk the timber I have done so much work in. It is starting to show signs of serious improvement. I should have taken more photos but I was too preoccupied with it all. The first timber cut is now truly an impenetrable fortress. I can see there is so much more work to be done, but there was great to see that my work is showing progress. Though I found no bone I found something that made my entire walk out there. I have not stepped foot into the big timber for almost 2 years as last year it flooded and washed away some of the cuttings Michael and I planted along with some Virginia Pine. 4 years ago I planted 5 or 6 select spruce trees that were growing in a bucket of mulch behind the greenhouse at the Dike Farm.

Well, with flooding and such happening at Coleman's, I thought I lost all of them. Then I went back 2 years ago and found 3 still barely alive but marred bad by deer damage. Then last year it flooded bad again and I assumed they were toast.

I found two still alive and actually thriving.

This is a slow growing species to begin with, but it's doing well in the Grundy county soil.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment