Monday, April 23, 2012

Turkey Time

 Finally have found some time to enjoy the turkey woods. Last Friday I went out all morning and afternoon and walked almost 8 miles. One small hen. It was a great day in the woods, but it was a little disheartening to not even hear one.

This morning I decided to get up early and try again. Got to the spot and was followed in by another guy. We talked a bit, and parted ways. He gave me precedence both because I was first and because I only had my bow. I was able to locate a gobbler and get close. I was one ravine off though. When he lit down from his roost he was spitting and drumming. He would gobble and it shook the leaves. AWESOME! He was 44 yards across this ravine in thick timber. I just never had a clear shot. I snuck back out to the field and sat for a few minutes. Nothing. I doubled back towards his last location but nothing. I decided to call it a morning and busted a jake in the middle of the field I was in. Damn. Tried to stalk him but that was not going to happen. Great morning to get out and now I have the fever...Until tomorrow.



Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment