Saturday, January 7, 2012

Michael's NTD (Non-Traditional Doe)

Over Christmas break I was able to take the neighbor kid out for some of the usual deer hunting. One hunt I took three shots at a nice buck at 200+ yards which is just too far for that gun. After shooting it later I found you really have to lead them past 170 yards. Anyway, still in the midst of shooting at this deer Michael started walking across the plowed corn field. When he got to me we look near the crest of a hill and there was a doinker buck at 94 just standing their even with all of my shooting. We set up and he shot. It bucked and took off looking as if it was hit hard. We came back with flashlights and found nothing. From either deer. That's the game I guess.
 We elected to come back the next evening despite shooting so much the day before. We set up on a terrace near where the little buck was. When we got there, there was a single deer in the middle of the field. I sent Michael out to stalk it but it busted and was gone. Just before sunset the yahoo whom always feels it necessary to cut firewood at magic hour started up again. We stayed put and waited for nothing. As usual in the late season we got up ten minutes early to check the field. This time it was in our advantage that the guy decided to chainsaw. It pushed a small group of does right to us. At 130 yards we slowly set up and I had Michael take his sweet time. As usual with him nothing. "Michael shoot. They are going to bolt!" BOOM! The deer take off and I turn back to grab my gun. One doe is face-planting in the frozen dirt clods. I knew then he hit it. The only problem was it kept trying to get up and run. I knew then it was a less than ideal shot and we would have to make a finishing shot. We got a little closer but our legal light was diminishing fast. BOOM! Game over. We walked up on one of the largest does I have ever seen. The shot was terrible, blowing throw the knees of both front legs. Oh boy. Nonetheless, she was down for good.


We took our time and Michael dressed it out without me trying to take over. He took some pointers although but for being his first gut job he did flawlessly. I called Dad and had him come bring the trailer as I had no rope or anything. We dragged the deer slowly to the top of the hill and when Dad got there we threw it it and hung it up at home. Next morning we took a couple day light pics and then commenced butchering; on Christmas Eve. 

I think the kid likes to hunt deer. 


Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment