Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Not the Holiday I Expected

 If sensitive to any graphic material please read only the first and last paragraph. Thank you.

Yesterday was my third day working the beach house at Hickory Grove Park, east of Nevada, Iowa, for the Fourth of July Holiday. Saturday was busier than ever but everyone was polite and civil. Sunday that went away, even though it rained on and of all day. Once I was done for the day it was great to just get back to my apartment. Sunday was going to be another day of beach house hell. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was going to be more hell than I ever could have imagined. At about 3:00 give or take, a guy came up to the beach house saying something about a person drowning. Before I knew what was going on my supervisor was running back up the hill and then my co-worker and I were in a canoe headed out. We were the first county employees on the water and it was imperative we find out what happened. Someone went in the water and didn't come out. We searched the water but got nothing. We then got every person either near or directly involved to the docks where there were deputies waiting to take statements. This was no longer a rescue mission but a search mission. Through all of that I was able to keep my cool and even take charge when my co-worker locked up. It wasn't the end of the world but he just had some situational shock. I helped clear the beach of all of the other people there at the time. We got all the information we could and then left the rest to the sheriff. At this point we were instructed to stay at the beach to help keep the peace. The mother was rightfully so, hysterical. The language barrier was the most difficult part of the whole thing. She kept mentioning another person that was going to freak out and then we figured out it was the victims fiance. The family spent the remainder of the evening at the beach which was now shut down for the day. The family priest came to help console the family which was necessary at this juncture. My co-worker and I then helped clean up the area and do whatever else we could to do positively occupy our time. At about 8:50 my boss comes to me and says I need to take the truck back because they can no longer have me on the clock, but that I could stick around if I wanted to.

It may sound weird, but through a morbid curiosity I stayed. I got back from the taking the truck back to my co-worker, whose car was at the garage, just to see the Denison dive team working the water. I watched at the bubbles tracked across the water, and then pause at the third buoy marker. The team surfaced and one diver tapped his head twice. They found him. I watched as they pulled him ashore and went through their protocol. They found him not 10 yards from where my co-worker and I last marked the spot, in 27 feet of water. Mere hours before we filled out paperwork for the boat to be rented.

This was more of an experience than I ever thought I was capable of going through. I have a new found respect for those that were or are EMT's. They go through this frequently and I am thankful that they knew what they are doing. I also have a deeper respect for my sister. She has seen things that most cannot fathom. I have come out of this whole ordeal with a better outlook on life. Damn it is fragile. I hope this is the only time I am involved in a situation like this, but I know better and next time I will be that much more prepared.



In God we must trust

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment